----- Original Message -----
From: "Ramesh Kumar"
Subject: Re: Tripods usage with DSLR

> Say I am using 100mm lens and I also want aperture to
> be f8. With this setting shutter speed is too low to
> take handheld shots, in such cases i can just
> increase the ISO till shutter speed becomes more than
> 1/200sec. Thus I can avoid tripod.
>
> Yes, if you deliberately want a long exposure then you
> need a tripod. Same goes to night photography

The same can be said with film. You can put a faster film in the camera (or
dial up the ISO with the intention of "push processing") until you get a
shutter speed you think you can hand hold.

Of course, you are compromising image quality by not shooting the optimal
speed, and are still not getting as good an image as if you had used a good
tripod in the first place.

A good tripod will improve image quality, regardless of shutter speed or
lens.

I am constantly amazed that people will go out and spend many thousands of
dollars on the finest cameras and lenses and then take enough technical
shortcuts that they may as well have bought a broken Holga for what they are
going to get back from the lab.

It amazed me when I was selling this stuff, it amazed me when I was teaching
this stuff, it amazed me when I was earning my living with this stuff, and
it still amazes me now that I am photofinishing.
For some reason, people think there is a free lunch to be had out there.

Tanstafl.

Carry a good quality tripod, and learn how to use it to your advantage.

William Robb