Tell me about it. I buy high density polyethylene (HDPE) for fixtures and jigs for my woodworking, and its mighty expensive stuff. I buy it on ebay sometimes and machine it to the right dimensions. Its perfect for stable, low friction applications though. Plastic comes in many flavors!

graywolf wrote:
Yep everything is plastic these days, guns, supersonic aircraft, blankets, your drawers, my teeth (grin). Funny thing is there are cheap plastics and plastics that cost more than machined titanium. cheap and plastic are not necessarily synonymous anymore (look at the price of those teeth).

Cotty wrote:

On 12/10/03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

The Rebel may have a plastic chassis but the 10D (and D30/60) do not.

The Rebel D apparently has a stainless steel frame holding the sensor and
lens mount in registration.
At least thats what I've been told.
The rest of it is pure plastic crap though.

And hence an area that saves money. The thing is, build quality on everything these days is getting worse. You look at anything from toasters to cars. The amount of plastic is appalling. We're being 'plastic groomed'. So most conusmers will pick up a 300D and think, 'Hey this isn't that bad'. Picking up the *ist D or 10D/D100 and they'd notice the difference. D1x/h / 1Ds / DC14thingywossname n and they'd notice the difference big time.

...and an LX and they'd faint at the quality!

Cheers, Cotty

___/\__ || (O) | People, Places, Pastiche ||=====| www.macads.co.uk/snaps _____________________________ Free UK Mac Ads www.macads.co.uk