Yeah, this is the main reason.  RAW only gives 70 shots even on 1Gb.  If
I go on holiday I am not taking a laptop with me - that's the dayjob and
exactly what I am trying to get away from!  I could do 70 shots in a
weekend easily if something special is hapenning.  When I went to the
Brit GP 2 years ago, I think I did 7 or 8 films in one day - the sort of
shots I would want in RAW.  Likewise when I went down to the dorset
coast and got up a 5 to get the sunrise every morning - the light is
changing so fast here that presumably the white balance would need to
keep being adjusted, so RAW would make life simpler?

Plus the missus suddenly wants to use my camera when I am at work!
Thats not on really, but you cant say no - so she will probably get the
half gig card for that use.

IF Pentax RAW was a bit more thrifty then I might not have felt the need
for so much.

Mind you, the fact that I do a lot of work with pocket PCs that use CF
cards at the moment makes it easier to get hold of them cheaply.