Right, I have done this test (http://www.calcot.plus.com/RAWTest/)

I found no obvious difference between the original RAW and JPG images,
so for the rest of the test I used a jpg created from the RAW file with
no adjustments whatsoever, so that I know the two methods have exactly
the same start point in terms of exposure etc.

normal.jpg is the original, straight from the camera exposure (apart
from a resize for the web).
Normalexp.jpg is a crop of that image which I will use to analyse the
differences.
RAWminus1exp.jpg is a crop of a jpg created from the RAW file with -1
exposure plus come extra sharpening and contrast all done in the RAW
software
RAWminus2exp.jpg shows that even reducing the exposure further in the
RAW software, yet more detail can be extracted from the blown
highlights.
Jpgminus1exp.jpg is the straight jpg edited in paint shop pro to -40%
brightness and +10% contrast to give a similar exposure that the RAW-1
gave.

Adjusted RAW/JPG are the resised full images.

The adjustment to the exposure in RAW has brought back all of the lost
highlight detail.  None of this was recoverable from the jpg.
The exposure adjustment to the jpg has resulted in far more of the
mid-tones being lost into shadow too.  Maybe better PS skills would
avoid that to some degree, but the image would almost certainly be
degraded compared to the RAW adjustments.

Seeing the full size files, this is clear cut for me.  Jpg is not a
problem from a compression point of view, but creating the jpgs from the
camera is throwing away some of the information from the image capture
which can never be recovered.  If you have any small exposure error then
RAW will probablybe able to correct that for you, but jpg will not.