On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, John Francis wrote:
> But what about long-time image storage?  Well, what about it?
> I'm sure my mother-in-law isn't the only person who throws away
> the negatives and just keeps a handful of prints for a while.
> Photography isn't an archive medium for the masses - it's all
> about the moment.  Filing negatives just isn't important.

I disagree with that statement.  I've been to many family gatherings
that end up with people thumbing through 30-60 year old prints
(usually kept in a non-archival shoebox) and remembering relatives or
events.

I doubt that the negatives are around for many of these prints and the
quality of the print isn't that important, but people do keep them and
look at them.

alex