I also am very interested in this use of slave flash.  I would have expected
the TTL functions to operate normally on the camera for not only the onboard
or external mounted flash but also for the slave flash.  If you set the
slave for less then you expect to need  1/16 etc, then the on camera flash
would make up the difference wouldn't it?  It would read the total provided
light from both flashes via TTL and provide the necessary amount on the on
camera flash to provide correct exposure.

I'm not saying I know this to be true, but rather pose this as a question.

Dave