Sounds like a friend of mine. She was trying to fit a horizontal photo of a flower into a predefined vertical space. If she cropped it to fit vertically part of the flower was cut off. If she cropped it to fit horizontally it was not tall enough for the space. If she changed the aspect ratio it was squished horizontally. She played with it for a couple of hours before I came by. Took me a couple of minutes to figure out there was no way she was going to use that image in that space.

That is why good pros shoot a horizontal and a vertical each each of a close up and of one with plenty of space around it. A minimum of 4 shots so that one of them will fit whatever space it winds up being used in.

However, there are always folks who want the impossible, and figure it is your fault they can't have it.

--

Butch Black wrote:
Previously written;

Speaking from the clerk's POV, I always ask for clarification.  People
phrase things in different ways, and I have no idea if they're referring
to using the full frame of the negative or the paper.

Of course where it gets fun is when you make an 8x10 per customers
instruction, they complain that it's cropped, you make them an 8x12 they
complain that it won't fit in their frame, you make them a 6.66 or 7x10 and
they complain about the borders. You tell them those are the only options
available and they'll argue for half an hour that they have had a full frame
8x10 with no cropping or borders done before. I've always wanted to work in
a lab that had a Photoshop workstation so I could give them what they wanted
and see the horrified look on their faces when they view their noticeably
distorted picture. I need to get out of this industry.

Butch

Each man had only one genuine vocation - to find the way to himself.

Hermann Hesse (Demian)

-- graywolf http://graywolfphoto.com

"You might as well accept people as they are,
you are not going to be able to change them anyway."