On 9/11/03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] disgorged:

>From what I've read, for Pro games (which are played in much better lit
>arenas), still shooters set up multiple radio slaved flashes in the
>rafters/cat walks above the court. Now the pro players may be used to flash,
>and anyway, most wildlife and athletes don't seem to notice flashs.
>
>BR
>
>From: Cotty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> I would not use flash ever in a
>sports tournament, ever. Even a friendly between amateurs, it's just bad
>form.

I must be honest and say that I have never photographed a basketball
match, either pro or am , and so the protocols may well allow flash. I
would be astonished if they did from the touchline or whatever line it's
called in basketball. Slaved flash going off from above or bounced may
well present less of a distraction to players - after all, fans sit in
the stands flashing left, right and centre - so they have to cope with that.

But direct flash at eye level on the playing floor would be a definite
no-no in my book......

Cheers,
  Cotty

___/\__