Chris wrote:

CB> Do you mean that as a joke, or are you serious?  How does Olympus do it
CB> with the OM-4, then?  Obviously off-the-film metering would require a
CB> metering pattern that fills the entire screen, but we should still be able
CB> to use spot metering in manual mode, right?  I'm just guessing, though,
CB> since I don't have an LX (yet) in my hands, so let me know if I'm totally
CB> out ot lunch.  It won't be the first time.  :)

   Not joking, Chris (though I'm the jest mood ;o) ). As far as I
know, OM-4 has OTF only for flash, its multi-spot meter is located in
the pentaprism, just as all modern cameras do.
   The incompatibility resides in the fact that OTF is by definition
an "approximate" area meter due to the diffused reflection of light from
the film/shutter curtain. In other words, no matter how close we place
a cell near the film plane, it simply can't meter only the light
reflected by a clearly delimited zone on the film. Consequently, it
won't account for a precise spot meter although it we may build this
way a gross multisegment meter.

   Servus, Alin