Hello John,

>From what I've observed, it seems a bit more like the balloon concept.
Before you blow up a balloon, the color is quite rich and dark.  The
more air you put in (enlarge), the color gets thinner.  I would
suspect that the same holds true to some degree with enlarging.
Because you are not enlarging the big negative as much, it would
appear a bit richer than the small negative.  This is just an
observation, rather than a known fact.

--
Best regards,
Bruce