----- Original Message -----
From: "Tanya Mayer Photography"
Subject: OT- Strike Rate (was Re: Just one tip)

> Yeah, but Shel, I am mainly referring to when shooting weddings etc, where
> you need to punch out a high volume of usable prints per roll. Having only
> couple of shots per roll that you "keep" from a wedding is just not
> feasible.   If referring to portraits etc, I would say that the average is
> higher as I generally have more control over the situation and am not
trying
> to shoot so quickly etc.  When it comes to still-life and product shots,
> such as flowers etc, then I would be more inclined to say hope for around
10
> really good shots per roll of 24 as I am much more particular about those
> results...  I still very much have a ways to go before I am happy with my
> "strike rate"...

What is considered a good success rate for a wedding photographer is much
different from a fine art photographer.
Weddings are a one shot deal, so pretty much every shot counts, whether or
not it has some warts showing.
There are some wedding shots that have to go into the book no matter what is
wrong with them, and working with no professional models for the portaiture
tends to lower the standard somewhat.

I do know a few shooters who package as few as a dozen images for their
customers wedding portfolio, out of a couple of hundred frames, but most of
us are in a situation where the customer expects a certain volume of images,
and we have to provide that, while staying within a reasonable material
cost.

So, we try to develop good reflexes.

William Robb