>                                                   The P&S produces amazing
> pictures, no doubt about it, but the motor skills involved in getting the most
> out of it are entirely different and I found that I had to alter my shooting
> habits substantially to get good results. Also, I can't seem to think
> photographically without me eye to a proper eyecup - looking at a screen
> doesn't seem to work well for me.  Add to that the fact that you're stuck with
> a narrow range of focal lengths, and it just doesn't tally to a good tool for
> my needs.

While not disagreeing with your overall conclusion, there are times when
I miss the LCD viewfinder of my PowerShot G1 - trying to take low-eyepoint
shots with the *ist-D means I have to lie flat on the ground.  Sometimes
this is merely inconvenient; other time's it's effectively impossible.
A tilt-and-swivel LCD makes things a lot easier.  It also works well when
I want to put the camera somewhere where there isn't room for me to stand
behind it, or for over-the-head shots, etc., etc.