If you have to swap to disk, then putting the Photoshop scratch space
on a different physical drive takes some of the pain away.  But it's
far better to have enough memory in the first place, and never going
to disk at all.  Even the fastest disk transfer speed is still much
slower than main memory speeds.  Try to get more memory first; a second
drive is a palliative, not a solution.