----- Original Message -----
From: "Delano Mireles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I guess this directed to those who do their own printing:
>
> Are all enlarger lens mounts the same regarding size?  Can one purchase
any
> lens and have it work on their enlarger without having to worry about
> adapters? Or, for example, will a vivitar lens only work on a vivitar
> enlarger?
>
> Thanks for your time!
>
> Delano

The most common thread for enlarging lenses is the 39mm Leica thread, almost
all lenses up to about 105mm will have this mount.  Older Schneiders had a
smaller mount (I guess around 32mm) but adaptors are easy to get.  Enlargers
with interchangeable lensboards will have most fittings available, or you
can get a blank board and have it drilled to the correct size.  Most
enlargers with a fixed lensboard will very likely have a leica thread.
Autofocus enlargers usually have lenses fixed into their mounts because the
focus cams are factory calibrated to each individual lens.  From 135mm
upward (for large film formats) the greater diameter of the lens barrels
requires ever larger mount sizes, but you can print the biggest Pentax
negative (6x7cm) with a 105mm lens so leica thread is the biggest mount you
will probably encounter.

Regards,
Anthony Farr