Len Paris wrote:

>> Could you elaborate on why the N80 and Canons are crippled?

> This is just my opinion, of course, but I consider the N80 to be
> crippled because nothing older than AF-D lenses can be used on
> it. I have some pretty nice AI-S glass that I'm awfully fond
> of. A selfish reason?

While there is some truth in this, the AF-D story is wrong, but
persists notoriously in the net meanwhile. The F80 works with all
AF-Nikkors ever made, being D, G, non-D or the manual P-Nikkors. The
second hand market of AF-Nikkors (since 1986) is pretty big, so in
case a beginner wants to go here (unlikely, especially if you read
the origin of this thread), he will find what he wants. For people
who own a Nikon manual focus outfit, the F80 is not a good choice
indeed. In fact, with the discontinuation of the FM-2, they have to
spend at least US$/EUR 750.- for a F/N90 or FM-3A now to get a new,
backwards compatible body. Nikon obviously wants you to buy some new
lenses instead, they will work both on the new and the old bodies
(except the budget G Nikkors, but these have no acceptable manual
focus design anyway). It's all about money making now in the photo
industry. But Pentax is no different. MZ-S, in case you want it, will
not be your only investment. You will need the new flash for exposure
compensation and high speed synch. The new flash has no swivel
head and only moderate power, so add a AF-500FTZ too. The body is
damned small, so add the additional grip. Nice, you have a vertical
release grip now, but only the old flash has a swivel head for
vertical shots, and these one has no flash exposure comp.... And yes,
don't forget the new remote release for the new socket, the old one
won't fit... Have I mentioned the new focus screen btw?

Ralf