It is a long standing Jewish tradition to give and not ask for or expect
anything in return.  I have to chuckle when a number of my friends rush to
make year end contributions of junk and cheap food (food that THEY
wouldn't eat) in order to garner tax deductions.  Yet the rest of the year
they are busy watering their lawns and waxing their BMW's.  There's
nothing wrong with those past times (have done my share of watering and
waxing), but to think of those that need help, and to give that help, only
if it gets you something material in return, is not in the true tradition
of charity.