That stuff should last longer than that, I suspect the half full bottle.

You might try storing it in several smaller bottles with no headspace.

> Since I run small batches, and infrequently, this
> is going to continue to be a problem.  I don't think a
> smaller bottle (which I have) will help all that much.

Developer goes bad through oxidation. I would try smaller glass bottles,
preferably in the size of the batches you use.

> So, I'm looking for a developer that
> 1) is cheap
> 2) keeps in "normal" form
> 3) gives good results with Ilford Pan F

I don't know if it's cheap or not, but XTOL works well with PAN-F.

Compared to the cost of the other things we use, we could develop in
Glenfiddich and it would still be relatively cheap.

> The first thing that springs to mind is Rodinal.  I know it
> doesn't keep well mixed, but I'd assume it keeps fine in the
> bottle?

It keeps forever in the little bottle.

> Is the high-acutance nature of Rodinal likely to
> mess up the fine-grain, "traditional"-tonality look of Pan F?

Um, it might. Rodinal has a unique look. You should try it for yourself and
see.

> Recommendations?

XTOL in small bottles!

tv