>Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 10:29:53 -0600 (CST)
>From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
>Hoping to tap the experience of the list here...
>
>For over a decade I've been shooting T-max 400 film for work and T-max 100
>film for personal use.  I like the fine grain and tonality of the T-max
>100.  Well, work went digital 6 months ago and the darkroom went away.
>I'm still shooting T-max 400 when I want high speed, because I like it's
>performance characteristics at high speed and I am VERY familiar with it.
>
>For T-max 100, though, the cost of the T-max developer (and I recall
>testing in college and finding that it really preferred T-max developer)
>is burdensome, and there are other films that will do the job.
>
>I've started to work with Ilford Pan F, developed in Ilford ID-11+ (which
>I like just a bit better than the almost identical Kodak D-76).  I like
>this combo, despite supply issues with the developer here in the U.S.
>The problem I am having with ID-11+ is one of shelf life.  Less than half a
>gallon of developer in a gallon bottle oxidized to the color of coca-cola
>in a month or two in my basement.  Since I run small batches, and
>infrequently, this is going to continue to be a problem.  I don't think a
>smaller bottle (which I have) will help all that much.
>
>So, I'm looking for a developer that
>1) is cheap
>2) keeps in "normal" form
>3) gives good results with Ilford Pan F
>
>I've been thinking that maybe a liquid concentrate is the way to go.
>That's the way I keep my T-max developer now (unmixed) and
>it is holding up fine.  Unfortunately many of them are not cheap, and
>I have no experience with them at all.  Developer shelf life never
>used to be an issue for me!
>
>The first thing that springs to mind is Rodinal.  I know it doesn't keep
>well mixed, but I'd assume it keeps fine in the bottle?  Is the
>high-acutance nature of Rodinal likely to mess up the fine-grain,
>"traditional"-tonality look of Pan F?
>
>Recommendations?
>
>DJE

W. Robb & Shel are probably the best b&w experts here.

With that caveat, my 2c:

I've not shot Ilford films very much, esp. roll films.
Personally I find them nice for copy work as the mid tones are
very pleasing.  My Father-in-law develops in HC-110(b)
and also used Ilford for copy work.

HC-110 opened has a shelf life of 6 months (Kodak's statement).
Dilution C might provide more detail.

I tried Bergger in TMax 1+9 @ 75(f) with some nice results.
That might be a suitable test with the Ilford as well.

I'm headed back to my old stand-by -- Plus-X.
Personally, I think the shadow detail is more natural, not bringing
out more than the eye normally perceives, and having good
highlight detail.  (Probably better in the highlights than TMax.
Unfortunately I'll have to buy up all the Plus-X sheet film I can
afford to purchase.  It's going, going, going away.  (Boo hoo.)

Collin