You are very unhappy about the APS sensor size, and I sympathise with your feelings on the subject.

However, I think you are letting your emotions blind you to the reality that Pentax is now committed to that size, and there is very little prospect of a change. If they really expected to be producing full frame sensor SLRs in a year or two's time they wouldn't start making APS sized lenses now.

You are also trying to convince yourself that APS sensors are not capable of higher pixel density. That is not an argument you can sustain. Sony's new camera has an 8 Mpixel output, but uses a sensor that is vastly smaller than APS. They have managed to extract eight times as many pixels per sq mm from this sensor than from the *ist D's sensor. It is therefore not at all unlikely that we will be seeing 20 or 30 Mpixels from an APS sized sensor in just a few year's time, and this discussion will, in retrospect, sound like that of old timers saying the horseless carriage would never catch on.

John