Yep, you have 2 weeks, he has 30 days to respond, you have 2 weeks, he has 60 days to respond, you have 2 weeks, he has 90 days to respond. If you go through all that then you can take him to small claims court. But then you will have to find where his accounts are, to collect in all probability. Remember he had practice doing this with hundreds of people, you are doing it for the first time. And you have moved out of state, or at least the county, so you have to run back and forth. (Detroit, Michigan landlord/tentant laws)

I find it amazing that folks think you go to small claims court, the guy pays and that is it. In reality he does not show up, the judge sees in your favor then you deliver that court order to him, or pay the sheriff's department to deliver it, if know where he is. He ignors it. You find out where his bank account is, or his job. You go back to court and they sign a garish, in the mean time he moved his account, and got another job. They don't show all this on the TV Court shows, do they?

Oh yes, if you keep following through, you will eventually get your money. After about 3 years.

--

Gonz wrote:

Thats what small claims court is for. If you have a clear case, its easy to win, even without a lawyer, plus the landlord... if he hired a lawyer, would be out probably 3x the $1K, so he would probably settle for the whole amount rather than risk it. A moving company once broke alot of my stuff and would not pay the damages. When I threatened to sue, they said "go ahead" it was not until the day before the court date that they called me and offered to settle. After what they put me through, I asked for 2x damages and they coughed it up. Thats their tactic every time, and they usually wear the other party down.

rg

graywolf wrote:

Only when there is big money involved. I remember when I was trying to recover deposits from a previous landlord, I could not find a lawyer interesting in trying to get my piddling $1000, even when I offered the whole amount as a fee (rather give it to a lawyer than let the landlord beat me out of it). I even had papers signed by the manager saying that the apartment was in better shape when I moved out than it was when I moved in. Now if you are talking $20K or so, you would have to beat them off with a stick.

--

Tanya Mayer Photography wrote:

Phew! Thanks Frank! I was a bit worried about that - in Australia it is
generally thought that those in the US are extremely litigious (sic?), and
that it pays to be veeeeery careful...

tan.