I don't like the GIMP very much. My experience is not based on the
version 2 release though, but on older versions, and only on Linux.
16 bit per colour is not supported, no colour management, awkward user
interface, although one might get used to it, a lot of tools don't have
a preview for the effects

--
Frits Wüthrich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>