on 4/8/01 9:10 PM, James Apilado at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi Ken.
> When I started on this list back in '96 when APS was staring out,  I took a
> lot of flack from die hard 35mm fans who seemed threatened by the new
> format.  My only complaint with APS is that you can't buy slide film here in
> the U.S. I recall when 110 came out in the early 70's, slide film could be
> purchased.  Even the earlier 126 format had slide film available.

Hi Jim,

We should be licking each other's wound :-)  For those who have at least
better than average photographic knowledge and skills, the APS is an
excellent system (using some decent SLR sustems).  I believe that much of
negativity stemmed from the fact that APS consortium promoted this system as
the one for tyro from the beginning and they are selling tons of APS P&S
(yes, the lack of film choice is another problem but hope it will be
rectified over time).   But it was never promoted as a serious alternative
to a 35mm system.  They attempted with some innovative APS SLRs but quickly
retreated (and it was their own fault).  The cassette, combined with the
magnetic stripe, among other innovations, allows all kinds of tricks and
future possibilities (maybe until the proliferation of high performance
digital SLRs at affordable prices, but 35mm system might be in jeopardy by
then :-)  Besides, the scanning with proper scanner is a cinch (all
automatic).

I have two Canon IXe bodies (with eye control,  1/4000, 1/200 sync with high
speed sync at all speeds) with EF 20mm/2.8, 50mm/1.4, 28-135 IS and 75-300
IS.  This system is excellent for vacation/travelling and grab shots (no
need for tripod most of time).  I also have a complete set (less 18mm lens)
of Minolta S1 system with one extra body for its splash proof design
(excellent for outdoor use).  In addition, I have a complete set of Nikon
Pronea 600i with an excellent Micro Nikkor 60mm/2.8 for certain copying and
macro work.  Because of 100% viewfinder (and Penta prism!) of the Pronea
600i viewfinder, and its excellent archival capability, I use this system
for a dedicated copy/archival work.  Oh, I also have an elph Jr. with its
excellent 26mm/2.8 lens which literally goes in pocket.
This should tell that I am an APS aficionado :-)  Crazy ? Maybe :-)
 I have extra bodies because APS SLRs are now dying breeds and can not buy
them anymore (except used).   And it was cheap, of course.  Any one of these
systems takes excellent pictures if you exercise the same care as you do
when using  35mm cameras.  If I know beforehand that I have to enlarge it to
a fair size, I now use the 645n.  Otherwise, it is almost impossible to tell
the difference of the image quality between the 3 formats at 4x6 or 4x7.  At
8x11, you might begin to see the difference between the 35mm and the APS
using a loupe.  But if I use the excellent Fuji Nexia F100, it is still hard
to see the difference.

I now have the Pentax 645n sys, the Pentax 35mm sys and these APS systems.
If I would be forced to choose two systems out of these three, I would
probably pick the MedF and the APS.  If Pentax come up with a well spec'd
APS SLR which I can use my Pentax lenses for, I will jump on it in no time.

Well, I gave enough praise on the APS, perhaps somewhat purposely :-)
I know this snubbed some fellow PDMLers (and am frowned by them as well :-)
But I felt relieved to find someone who shares the similar view on the APS.

Cheers,

Ken