Just an idea:

Could the film manufacturers not put a magnetic 'sticker' on the outside
of 35mm film canisters.  The camera could auto record & read film info
like last used fram ISO override etc and use it for mid roll change etc.
If a film was loaded without the magnetic 'sticker' then obviously some
functionality would be lost and we would have to input film no or frame
no manually.  We could also buy strips of stickers to put on
'non-compatible' film ourselves if we really want the functionality and
we are either using old film or film from a manufacturer which has not
subscribed to this upgrade.  No change to the film/format, ultimate
compatibility and an upgrade in functionality.  The only problem might
be persuading the film manufacturers to absorb the extra cost of putting
stickers on all films - perhaps they could limit it to the professional
films only?

Surely this would be a winner as a halfway house to APS functionality in
our 35mm cameras?

Rob Brigham