I had thought of that myself.  Only problem I can see is the small cut of
hole being caught during processing (or being caught on the felt on the
cartridge), and totally screwing things up.  One possibility that might
work is scratching the film in an unused area, and having a sensor detect
the scratch somehow.

Todd