Now I wish I had kept the source of my mis-information. I have no idea who it was.
Oh well. That's disconcerting, because if it had been true, it would have exposed something about the M bayo lens of which I was unaware, and #2, possibly impact any decision to purchase a *ist.

I just visited the Pentax *ist site, and found this:

- - - - - -

Usable Lenses: Pentax KAF2-(power zoom not available), KAF-, KA- and K-mount lenses (Autofocus possible with KA- and K-mount lenses using AF adapter) When the aperture ring is set at other than A position, release lock or unlock selectable by Custom function No.17.

- - - - - -

Should be case closed...
Thanks, everyone. (Except for the poster who said it can't use M-Series lenses.)

keith whaley

Paul Stenquist wrote:

It is compatible with both K and M.

Andre Langevin wrote:

It is compatible with K's, not the M-series which followed, but it
is with the A-series that followed the M's... All K-style bayonet
designs.

I'll have to do some research to find out why.

??? From a bayonet point of view, K-series and M-series are the same. I doubt it very much that the ist is compatible with K-series while not with the M-series.

Andre