Hi, Tanya,

Tanya & Russell Mayer wrote:
> The mother of the little fairy in the shots I posted earlier
> said to me that the thing that really
> "got" her about the shots I took was that they have so much "heart", and
> that I went to great lengths to consider the
> child's and the parents beliefs, personality etc and to cater specifically
> to those things rather than just
> saying "smile" and then "that's a wrap!".

Well, Tanya, this is what you are selling. Not what you don't
have, or can't do,
but a service that is valuable to your customers.  If a guy with
years of experience
and lots or equipment produces mediocre pictures and your
produce pictures that
have the verve your customers are looking for which is the more
valuable product?

You are not selling your experience.  You are not selling your
equipment.  You are
not selling your studio.  What you are selling is your ability
to make a picture that
satisfies your customer, from your quote of one of your
customers that is more than
satisfactory.  You should be paid for what you provide.

Now there is an economic reality factor involved.  No one is
likely to pay you much more
than they can get the same product for.  The competitor you
mention is booked up weeks
in advance.  What is it worth to your customers to not have to
wait those weeks?  He
produces mediocre work.  What is it worth to your customers to
get more sensitive and
insightful photos?

The only time you are charging too much is when you can not get
customers at that price.

Another thing to think of is that in my experience people who
look only for price are
never satisfied.  There is no way you can make them happy.
Whereas people who expect
to pay a fair price have realistic expectations.  The expect to
get what they pay for,
and nothing else.  Years back I tried to get jobs based on my
making about $10 and hour,
the jobs I got were nothing but a pain.  I raised my
expectations to $100/hr by bidding
on a job I didn't really want.  I got the job.  The client was
happy.  They recommended
me to other clients.  Their most reveling comment about my bid
was, "That's reasonable.
Not cheap, but reasonable."  If I had bid my usual cheap price I
would not have gotten
the job, they would have figured I was only worth what I was
asking.  That is, not much.

--Tom