No.  What basically happens is that a product architecture is designed
and coded and a product is built.  It goes through several rounds of
bug fixes, optimizations and updates.  You see these as new versions
which do make money for the software company.  Somewhere along the
way, it is decided that a new architecture is needed for some
fundamental reasons.  In the case of Adobe, it could be 16 bit or some
such.  Anyway, this usually requires a fairly major ground up rewrite
to accommodate the new system.  This effectively gives you a version 1
codebase again that will have more bugs and less optimizations.  It
usually doesn't even fully harness and exploit the new design.  Long
term, the new design may be better, but it is difficult for the user
base to swallow initially.

--
Best regards,
Bruce