JM> Would I be better off getting an assortment of primes
JM> as opposed to 1 or 2 zooms? And which primes would be
JM> best?

I don't think so.  Over time you'll need both. I use zooms for changing
photographic situations - people moving or when I am moving (e.i. on a boat)
or on the go. Primes for best possible results, when there's time and
opertunity to go to the right place with the right lens.
Of course that depends on what you photograph.
Anyway, some photographic chalenges may take you to the limits of what is
technically possible. That's a time for a prime.

All the best
Jens

mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://hjem.get2net.dk/bladt