Bob W wrote:

Hi,

Tuesday, June 15, 2004, 8:57:05 PM, Gonz wrote:

I saw the previews of "I Robot" recently. I don't know what to make of
it. On one hand I'm happy that major studios have finally taken up an
Asimov classic SciFi story and made a movie out of it. On the other
hand, I'm afraid of what they'll do to the original story. Given Hollywood's appetite for shallowness and special effects, and adding
Will Smith as the major character, the end result is sure to dissapoint,
but I'm keeping my mind open just in case.

one way of translating the Arabic words 'al-Qaida' is 'the
Foundation'. Some people have claimed that Osama bin Laden is an
Asimov fan. This article says that the Aum terrorists in Japan were
certainly inspired by his books.
http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,779530,00.html

Asimov, good pacifist that he was, would be appalled.

Giles Foden wrote the article. His book 'Zanzibar' is a good
thriller, with a very realistic sense of place.