----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Lovern"
Subject: Max weight of tele lens on *ist D

> I've just picked up an old (but looks as good as new) Tamron SP
300mm f5.6
> (Adaptall 2 mount), for use on my *ist D. I'm surprised at how
small and
> light this lens is, and I'm thinking of adding it to my general
> walking-around kit. But that would be easier without its relatively
large,
> removeable tripod mount.
>
> The lens is too heavy to weigh with our kitchen scale, but using
our
> digital bathroom scale (weighing myself both with and without the
lens,
> and subtracting one from the other to get the weight of the lens),
it
> seems to weigh about 21 ounces (~595g) (including the Adaptall 2
mount,
> but not including the tripod mount), give or take about 2 ounces
(~56g).
> The length is about 169mm including the Adaptall 2 mount.
>
> Is that too much weight and length to put on the *ist D, with the
*ist D
> mounted on a tripod?

I should think that the camera would be fine with this weight, though
perhaps not with the battery pack attached.
You are better off not using a lens mount for attaching to a tripod
if you can use the camera mount.
I have what must be a similar lens, I also have a Tamron 300mm if/5.6
Adaptall (no tripod collar though). I wouldn't hesitate to mount it
to the istD and put the rig on a tripod using the camera mount.

William Robb