That was what I thought as well, until I did some test. I took a few sets of pictures (Z-1p, F*300/4.5, Arca Swiss B1 ballhead, Gitzo G1349 tripod) with and without the lens tripod collar at every aperture. To my surprise, both sets of slides with and without the 2s mirror-prefire turned out to be less sharp than without using the lens tripod collar (cable released was used). To confirm this finding, I then tried it on tripod again and looking though the viewfinder. When using the lens tripod collar, the lens/camera kept bouncing slightly for quite awhile and is visible though the viewfinder. Without the lens tripod collar, the vibration quickly settled. I have not used the lens tripod collar with my F*300/4.5 since. Perhaps I should purchase the FA* if I had this knowledge few years ago. But it is true that for a setup like this without the tripod collar, the choice of tripod head is vital.

Alan Chan
http://www.pbase.com/wlachan

Pentax may have thought is was fine, but many users find the lack of tripod
collar a major oversight.  I think structurally, the camera should be ok,
but you will probably have some vibration issues to sort out.

Free yourself from those irritating pop-up ads with MSn Premium. Get 2months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines