I would use a tripod collar if you have one as it was designed for it.  The
bigger question in my mind is your reasoning about using it as a walking
around lens.  The shutter speeds required for this lens handheld for most
people are going to be a minimum of 1/500 sec.  That's really fast film
and/or really good lighting available.  IMHO any lens focal length longer
then 200mm belongs on a tripod.

Just my 2 cents

Dave