El Gringo wrote:

The 645 digital on the other hand
has massive potential.  It could be made smaller than it is, more in the
range of a large 35mm, it could burst faster than any film MF camera, and it
has a real viewfinder, unlike the Mamiya 7.  Not to mention that it has a
nice range of high quality Pentax 645 lenses.  This could be THE camera to
own if Pentax pulls out all the stops.

REPLY:

Exactly! Provided that Pentax have any future in mind for their MF system(s) this is
the natural path to take. Mind you, Pentax have previously shown interest in the
high-end DSLR market with the MD-S. This camera was mainly intended for their pro MF
user base who could use their lenses on a K-mount slr. At that time a wholly MF bases
DSLR wasn't viable (nor the MD-S apparently). I don't think Pentax have changed their
basic policy since.

El Gringo:

There will always be a place for portable systems, but for
those who want the UTMOST quality, MF is the promised land.

REPLY:

Lets not forget that the Pentax 645 system IS portable. In fact it weights no more
than comparable Nikon/Canon high-end slr systems. The 645 is down right small compared
to EOS-1Ds or similar! I'm sure Pentax will make a 645 DSLR even smaller.

Pål