Here on the Mass northern coast I find that sales of B&W film are as good as
ever and I can buy it locally at several retailers.  The art community here
of course is very strong and almost all major colleges, community colleges,
and even high schools have a strong art program as well as photography
courses.  T-Max and Ilford films are very hot items actually and the
retailers are hard put to keep enough on the shelves at times. In many cases
for art degrees B&W photography is required.  Electronic cameras that have
manual capability are more accepted then before, but still discouraged in
favor of all manual models.  Digital Photography classes on the other hand
are very basic, rare, and are not usually given any credits.

If for no other reason then B&W film, film based equipment will still have
good usage for years to come I suspect.  The do-it-yourself trend in America
is strongly imbedded in a good share of us.  If we could make our own film,
there would be those that would be extremely attracted to the idea of this.
Shutting the doors of processing labs etc., could start a whole new trend
and market here.  The future of film doesn't have to be grim, but rather a
sort of new beginning even especially as a regenerated art form.  I recently
ran across a traveling blacksmith at a local cafe.  He was raking in the $$$
and had more work then he knew what to do with.  The brand new 1-ton dually
pickup and trailer outside sort of supported that claim.  I find him a
perfect example of if there is a market, someone will do it!  Thanks to the
efficiency of delivery services these days, we won't have to drive all over
the place to find that distributor though.  Thanks to the internet that
distributor won't have to work that hard to make it known they have your
product available whether it be in China or Brazil.  If I have to buy an
entire brick of film to justify the order rather then 2 rolls, that's not
the end of the world.

If Pentax goes under, most your major investment is in lenses anyways right?
Never fear, someone, somewhere will make you an adaptor to put it on a
different brand camera.  That or better yet someone will make a camera that
fully supports your lenses.  I still think a full frame DSLR is in the
future and might well become the norm at some point.  Simple physics
dictates that bigger is better.  There are just too many k-mount lenses out
there to ignore their complete compatibility.  There is a market obviously,
someone will do it at a reasonably affordable price.

My point is hitting the panic button and bailing out of your current
equipment isn't really very logical.  The indicated rate of technological
improvement only really dooms your current digital equipment to being worth
nothing very soon.  Film equipment is still likely to be a better investment
and hold it's value long term as it has for many years.  Sure we're going to
see some ups and downs there, but not nearly as drastic as digital.  How
much would you give for a 1.3 Mp digital camera today.  Hmmmmm...only a
short while ago you paid out a bunch for it huh?  Percentage wise how much
did your film equipment change value in the same period?  From what I'm
reading not that many of those on this list really want to go digital just
to have the digital advantages, but rather because they are afraid of
getting stuck with a bunch of fancy paperweights.  I don't blame you as we
are all victims of the digital promoters scheme.  However what will really
happen is a big question and as long as I'm willing to process my own film
my current equipment isn't doomed to collecting dust.  Home based processing
equipment manufacturers may likely be gearing up to meet the demand even.
For those of you that have never seen or tried what even a 35mm negative can
do in an enlarger I strongly encourage you to experience this as there is so
much there that digital cannot begin to render correctly.  Until you have
experienced this you cannot compare film to digital either IMHO.  An at home
lab is not quite as fast as digital, but is 2 hours all that important?

Dave