I have a *ist D. Most of my lenses are Ms. Your statement that your "investment has gone out the window" is just bizarre.

John

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 19:40:29 -0700, Jim Apilado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Like you, I have seen my investment in K mount lenses go out the window
when Pentax decided against full compatibility. I don't care that Pentax
came out with firmware that partially corrects the compatibility issue.
About the only thing that Pentax has done that is correct is use AA
batteries as the power source.
I have the Optio 230 which also uses AA batteries. Recently got the tiny
Sony U40 that takes AAA batteries. It only takes nine tenths of a second to
fire the camera up, much faster than the Pentax.
I haven't given up on film. I love slides. I love stereo slides.

Jim A.

From: Caveman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 21:28:59 -0400
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Caveman goes digital

Ok, I did it. It was time to replace the Olympus Mju II P&S with
something that doesn't eat film, and after considering Canon S60, Sony
V1 and Pentax Optio 555, I've decided on the Canon. Before you cry
"foul", you should hear that the main arguments were the sliding cover
design and the zoom starting at 5.8mm (28mm equivalent).

So now I have some questions - not brand specific. I've read that some
people preffer to use these digi P&S with a "low sharpening" setting and
the lowest ISO, and do the sharpening later in Photoshop or whatever.
Their claim is that the sharpening is more gently done this way and the
noise is kept to a minimum. Is anyone here using a similar technique ?
Could you comment on it ?

Second question - is there any point in buying high speed CF cards for
P&S digicams ?

Third question - has anyone compared the RAW output with the finest JPEG
setting ? is it worth to shoot in RAW ?

And the final question. Since now I'm on a shopping spree, I'm also
looking at something more serious, like a DSLR. In my price range are
the Nikon D70, Canon 10D and digirebel, and the *ist D. Which one should
caveman buy ? (in its infinite wisdom Pentax made my current lenses
unusable on the *ist, so I'm open to any suggestion).

cheers,
caveman

-- Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/