All of your pentax lenses are useable on the *istD. I have some FA lenses, but I prefer many of my K-series versions and shoot with them. The first release *istD did not have the necessary firmware to meter with K lenses. The new ones do, and they work fine. It's simply a matter of selecting your ap and pushing a button before you fire. The camera will then select a shutter speed. It's center weighted metering, and it works fine. Basically, you have a metering function similar to ap priority on the LX. Of course, with A lenses, the *istD provides the full range of metering option.
Paul