[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> That's the deal-breaker for me. I know of chromogenic negs shot in the
>
> *80's* that have turned to crap.
>
> It's like the film equivalent of inkjet paper.
>
> tv
>
> #1, what chromogenic films were available in the '80's, I don't
> remember any.
>  Maybe the very early Ilford?

XP-1. I think. They weren't mine, these are 1st hand accounts from
people I trust.

I believe XP-1 came out around 1980.

> #2, do we  know that the current crop of chromogenic films suffer from
> the
> same problems, or just erring on the side of caution.

Just being cautious, but even still, you couldn't really expect them to
be any better then regular color film.

Basically, I trust the opinion of the people who run my lab, and Mike
Johnston. Who else could I trust?

Another recent incident got me thinking...I was at my lab, and they have
some matted 16x20's hanging on the walls. Mostly color, but there's one
b+w. It had been hanging kind of high up at the front of the lab, but it
had been moved lower and to the side, and I was able to get up close.

Well, when I took a look at it, I noticed that the print had discolored
around the edges where the print was close to the window mat. What had
happened, apparently, was the the 45 degree bevelled mat cut reflected
light onto the print, intensifying the light hitting it in that area. So
basically after 2 years, the print was toast.

Paper was Ilford MG RC, and it had hung in front of the store for about
2 years.

It just got me thinking I'm going to stick with the real thing when it
comes to b+w. No one really knows how long any of this stuff will last,
except to say b+w film and fiber paper will last a very long time.

BTW, the color prints on the walls are Ilfochromes and look fine.

Omigawd, Conan O'Brian just showed a Cairn Terrier humping a Richard
Simmons doll.

I raise my Red Hook the PDML!

tv