----- Original Message -----
From: "Aaron Reynolds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: April 30, 2001 5:45 AM
Subject: Re: RC Paper problems. Was: Re: C41 B&W

> William Robb wrote:
>
> > Aaron, did you read that article by Ctein a couple of years
back
> > about RC paper and the bronzing problem? I am sure it was in
> > Darkroom Techniques magazine, but I can't find the issue it
was
> > in. I think he said the PolyMax RC paper was the only one
not
> > prone to the problem.
>
> I didn't.  I have seen bronzing in improperly washed (i.e.
machine
> processed) prints, including several of my own that I did
while I was at
> Sheridan; less than two years in the sun bronzed 'em.  In my
own
> experience here I've found that the problem doesn't show up as
long as
> you use a reasonably long wash and a quick treatment in Sistan
(a kind
> of permawash from the friendly Agfa people).
>
> Actually, the bronzed print on my wall from Sheridan is on
Polymax.  Heh.

> Anyhow, RC is not an archival solution.

Ctein didn't find improper washing to be the culprit. He decided
it was casued by putting the print behind glass, or otherwise
enclosing it. I have seen it on laminated RC prints made with
Ilford MG III and IV paper, as well as framed prints.
RC paper is definitely a short term solution.
William Robb