Kelvin Ang wrote:

> I recently got interested in b/w photography and went
> on to shoot a few rolls of Tri-X. When the prints are
> out (I got them from labs since I don't do them
> myself), I'm surprised they are printed on Kodak
> Professional Paper. I thought it could be due to that
> the lab is trying to cut cost (I assume that proper
> b/w paper cost more), so I switch to another reputable
> lab in my area.

Uh...Kodak makes b+w paper.

> They had theirs done on Fuji Crystal
> Archive paper, and if the negatives have already been
> developed, they could do it in half an hour...

OK, now that's weird.

> Is this the trend these days, or are these labs all
> out to cheat novices like me?

B+W is expensive. If you go to lab and ask to get a roll of proofs,
they're probably going to run it through their mini-lab, and use a "b+w"
paper that works in color chemicals. This is the cheapest option if you
want actual 4x6 proofs of every neg, though it's still expensive.

These prints might last 3 years if you're lucky.

A better option might be to have them contact print the negs, and only
have them print the ones you like on real b+w paper.

Most labs are not set up to do good b+w these days...it just isn't
cost-effective for most of them.

tv

> Kelvin

Thomas Van Veen Photography