Starbucks uses that for marketing,

Starbucks             The rest of the World
  TALL        ==             Small
 GRANDE       ==             Medium
 VENTE(SP?)   ==             Large

or else Starbucks only sells one size since they all more or less translate into large.

Bob W wrote:

Hi,

When one has a group of 4 increasing larger, let's say coffee, containers and the smallest of the group is called "Giant," well, all
comparison is lost, isn't it.

A good way to market condoms, perhaps. As for coffee, the smallest (or perhaps I should say 'least large') servings are giant compared to the classic sizes of the old days. The smallest you can get now, at least over here, is what used to be considered large. Some of the sizes available in coffee shops now, and the quantities of milk in them, always me think 'large bucket of fat'.

--
I can understand why mankind hasn't given up war. During a war you get to drive tanks through the sides of buildings and shoot foreigners - two things that are usually frowned on during peacetime.
--P.J. O'Rourke