On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 08:03:16 -0600, William Robb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
<snip>

> So, to be fair, if we are going to chastise some people for "street
> photography", we should also castigate those who choose to take prety
> pictures of mountain ranges, since they must have a political agenda
> as well.
<snip>

You know, William,

You make an interesting point.  When one thinks about it, there may be
many more photos that are "political" than one would initially
suppose.

Not to pick on anyone, but by way of example, I was thinking about our
friend, Mr. Stenquist.  Among his many and varied photographic
talents, he is possibly the best photographer of automobiles on the
list.  He takes beautiful cars, and captures them beautifully.  He has
also worked for automobile magazines and advertising companies whose
largest clients are very likely automobile companies.

Has it ever been said on this list that Paul's an apologist for the
car companies, that he's a mouthpiece for big business, that he's a
proponent of "car culture" and all the good and bad that's come from
that?  Not that I've seen.

Again, I'm not saying that he should be so criticized (and again, I
hope you don't mind, Paul, that I've used your work to support my
argument).  But, on some level, Paul's car photos can be seen to
support a certain type of society that not everyone can agree with.
But, not a word is spoken in that regard.

Same could be said about fashion photography, with it's (often)
anorexic looking models with artificial breasts and other surgically
enhanced features.  Not to mention that it supports an industry that
encourages excess, decadence and materialism to the extreme.  Or
sports photography, which can be said to support potentially dangerous
activities (I heard that about 3,000 kids a year break their necks
playing high school football in the US).

We either have to say that all photography is political or that none
of it is.  (Although I can't figure out how macros of caterpillars or
family snapshots may be political, but I'm working on it).

cheers,
frank