On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 21:05:18 -0600, Don Sanderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Bob, you apparently missed the fact that I was responding to
> Mishka's comment that as long as you play by the rules you
> aren't an ass or whatever. <snip>

In 1970, Pete Rose was at the height of his career.  "Charlie Hustle"
was the personification of the "everyguy": not huge on talent, he got
to the top on sheer determination and guts. (BTW, I'm talking baseball
here, for those of you who don't know).

That year, Rose was in the All Star game for the National League team.
 In the 12th inning of that game (overtime), Rose rounded third, and
came home.  A great throw got the ball to catcher Ray Fosse in plenty
of time to tag Rose out, and Fosse moved up the line toward third to
block home plate, to effect said tag.  Rather than slide into home,
Rose put his shoulder down, and steamrollered over Fosse, in an
attempt to knock the ball loose (the only possible way for Rose to
score).

It was a horrible collision;  Fosse ended up on his back, and couldn't
hold onto the ball.  Rose scored, the National League won. Although
Fosse played again, his career was essentially over - he never really
recovered from the blow.

So, what has all this to do with this thread?  Well, when a catcher
moves up the line to block the plate, it's within the rules for a base
runner to "run over him" to get to home.  Rose was within the rules of
the game.

BUT, it was an All Star (exhibition) game.  It meant nothing.  Even if
it was a regular season game, is it worth endangering someone's life,
even if it's within the rules?

Here's my point.  Rose may not have broken any rules (on that play),
but he was still an asshole.

Rules often indicate only a minimum required behaviour, not a golden
standard.  Playing barely within the rules doesn't mean that one is
being moral or is even much above reprehensable.

Sorry for that long post, but I've long had a pet peeve WRT those that
equate "legal" with "ethical"...

thanks for listening to this rather long diatribe.

cheers,
frank