> Did Pentax ever make a macro teleconverter?

Nope.

> I've been looking around on the web and the only one I've found is
> the Vivitar 2x.  Is that one good?

Yes, indeed.  I'd say, from my experience, that (in its non-macro
mode) it's the optical equal of the A 2X-S and the K T6-2X (at least
on the lenses I've used it on)...

> thanks for your comments about the 200mm 2.5.

...including the K 200/2.5.

> Why is there so few of these? It seems like they would be very
> handy.

I think that they're actually fairly common.  Vivitar had been
selling them for years, both in an earlier pre-Ka K-mount version
and later in a Ka-mount version.  (I'm not sure if Vivitar ever made
a screwmount version of this particular TC, but someone else will
know.)  It seems as if they're a frequent auction item on eBay.

Fred