I've never really experienced a mushiness problem with downsized files. It
seems that if one starts with a nice sharp, high-res image, it's hard to wreck
it by making it smaller. I had to downsize some 72 meg tiffs for web use this
weekend. I tried doing it with Bicubic, Bicubic Smoother, and Bicubic Sharper.
The three resulting jpegs (13 inches on the long side, 72dpi) were identical to
my eye, even when wearing my glasses :-). But since the consensus appears to be
that Bicubic Sharper is better for downsizing, I'll continue to use it, while
using Bicubic Smoother for upsizing.
Paul