Here's a neat trick:  Reduce the file size in one big
mushy step, then use Focus Magic.  It does a very nifty
job of demushing in this situation.

Shel Belinkoff wrote:

I recently heard that the best way to reduce a large file to one that's
substantially smaller is by using a step-by-step process rather than just
making the reduction in one step. I've numerous 4000ppi scanned B&W film
images of about 40mb and I want to reduce it to 100ppi with a wide
dimension of 800-900 pixels. Does anyone know what the procedure is for
doing a step-by-step reduction?  I tried it by going from 4000ppi to
2000ppi to 1000ppi, etc., but the results were soft and mushy.  Is there a
better way to reduce the size and rez of such files?

Shel