It's been suggested by some folks on the PS list, by Adobe, and at least a
couple of PS training experts, that Bicubic Sharper is the preferred method
to use when reducing file size.  Bicubic smoother is suggested for making a
file larger.  My results have been mixed with Bicubic Sharper.  Sometimes
the sharpening seems to be a bit too much.  The success of the approach
seems to depend on the image.  The best approach may be plain vanilla
Bicubic with sharpening done after reduction, either globally or locally
using the luminance channel and USM, or with other sharpening techniques.

One method suggested last night by a PS expert on the PS list is to dupe
the file and then use Bicubic Sharper on one and Bicubic on
the other. Having got the two documents to the same size, drag one into the
other while holding down the Shift key and then reduce the opacity of the
'oversharpened' layer.  That gives a nice degree of control since one can't
control the result when using Bicubic Sharper.  The same technique may work
when interpolating upwards using Bicubic Smoother, although I've not tried
that myself.

Shel