One needn't make the change only in General Preferences.  Going to IMAGE >
IMAGE SIZE allows choices to be made on an image by image basis without
effecting the settings in General Preferences.  Remember, changes made in
General Preferences don't take place until PS is closed and reloaded, which
can be a bit of a PITA when one is in the middle of working on an image.
Setting the parameters when setting the image doesn't require reloading PS,
and works immediately and only on the single image that's being adjusted.

Shel