ERN,

I'm a happy pentax user, but...  My record with NEW Pentax cameras is not great.

My original ME failed after 3-4 years of use and I paid to repair it
when the standoff spring on the wind lever broke and put a metal piece
into the plastic film advance gears.

My Super Program died in the first 6 months.  I took it to the Pentax
repair center in Chicago and the guy started to ask if it was under
warranty then stopped himself.  It had only been out for 7 months!
They repaired it for free.

My PZ-1 went crazy in the drizzle at a Pig Roast (autofocus was
hunting).  It was 6 months new and went back to Pentax under the
original warranty.  I had to send the new camera plus the 28-80 lens.
It took a dissatisfying 2+ months to get it back from Colorado.

I've used 20-30 other, used Pentax cameras.  They all worked just
fine...except each of four LX cameras needed a CLA for sticky mirror.
This was to be expected.

I've never thought of Pentax manufacturing as inferior, or quality
plagued.  But after the early purchase of the Super Program and PZ-1,
I don't want to be an early adopter of any new pentax cameras.  I'd
rather wait for the bugs to be ironed out.

Regards,  Bob S.