I think that someone is reading copyright law incorrectly.

D. Glenn Arthur Jr. wrote:

Folks,

I'm behind on my list reading so I don't know whether this has already been discussed, but just in case it hasn't ... :

<http://newurbanist.blogspot.com/2005/01/copyrighting-of-public-space.html>

"The Reader recounts the experience of photojournalist Warren Wimmer's attempts to photograph Anish Kapoor's sculpture, Cloud Gate (more commonly known as 'the Bean'). When Wimmer set up his tripod and camera to shoot the sculpture, security guards stopped him, demanding that they show him a permit. Wimmer protested, replying that it's absurd that one needs to pay for a permit to photograph public art in a city-owned park."

The explanation (they're protecting the _artist's_ copyright) makes some sense to me as well, but the "guards will stop you if you try
to take photos in public" aspect still feels ... troublingly odd.

-- Glenn

--
I can understand why mankind hasn't given up war. During a war you get to drive tanks through the sides of buildings and shoot foreigners - two things that are usually frowned on during peacetime.
--P.J. O'Rourke