MH> Now we don't know wich way to go. Professionals love IPTC. Some
MH> electronic photo archives automatically read the IPTC-Information. But
MH> every normal Citizen (and Netizen) can't read these informations. Those
MH> people would like to have the standard File Properties.

Stick with IPTC. You won't be sending your original files to average
Netizens anyway. Every good html gallery program or online photo
gallery can read the IPTC fields like author and caption and
automatically add them to the gallery in html format.

And if you catalogue your images, IPTC fields are great for it.

Also, I believe the WinXP "properties" of the file are not transferred
with the file. They are most likely stored in the NTFS filesystem on
your disk (that might explain why you can't change them, if you don't
have the files on a NTFS partition). Anyway, IPTC is non-proprietary
while the WinXP properties are very proprietary and not supported
anywhere else, even if they transfer with the file to other
filesystems.

Good light!
           fra